Saturday, July 9, 2016

Kirsty Ferguson, Author of The Little Dead Girl Series

As promised, I have decided to turn my neglected blog into a place where authors and readers can meet. Each week I will highlight an author and discuss with them their books and their experience. 

My very first guest it Kirsty Ferguson.  



Kirsty Ferguson is a crime, mystery and horror writer who lives in Melbourne, Australia. She has been writing stories ever since a life-changing brush with Stephen King’s Cujo. When she’s not writing about unspeakable things, reading or cooking, she can be found spending time with her son, teaching him about the joys of reading and writing.

As you can see, Kirsty is a woman after my own heart, we both share a love of Stephen King and spend a lot of our time writing about the horrors that humans can do. 

So on to the questions:

Welcome Kirsty, 

Can you tell us a bit about you as an author?
I write crime and mystery novels that are set in rural Australia. My books always have a few twists and turns woven throughout them which will keep you guessing until the end.

What are the hardest part of being an author? 
Finding time is definitely the hardest part of being an author. You are always pulled in so many different ways with family, work or study.

What do you enjoy most about being an author?
Creating a book from just a spark of an idea. I also love when people tell me they’ve read my books and enjoyed them.

What authors/books have had an influence on your writing?
Stephen King’ Cujo will always hold a special place in my heart as will Margaret Mitchell’s Gone With The Wind for helping me fall in love with books and the art of writing. I love reading Australian authors as well such as Helen Garner and Carly Lane.

Do you ever get Writer’s Block? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you believe there is such a thing?
Yes, there is such a thing as writer’s block, I’ve felt it before. I found that writing something completely different helps clear the block away. I also find that reading the news is helpful. That’s how I got the idea for one of my books, by googling an old crime. The book took a very different turn but it helped me write again.

Do you have a particular place that you like to write?
I made an office for myself and hung inspirational quotes on the wall. It’s my favourite place to write. I also find inspiration while walking so I use my phone to write down plot ideas.

Do you have a favourite time of day to write?
I find that I am quite motivated after school drop off or late at night.

How do you like to reach your readers?
I use social media such as Facebook and Twitter to reach readers. I am also in the local Collins Booksellers store and in three libraries. 

Please tell us about your latest book:
My latest book is called Little Girl Revenge and is the second book in the Little Girl Dead series (Little Girl Dead is the first book). It is a crime and mystery series that focuses around the events immediately after the death of a sixteen-year-old girl named Cassie Grace. The reader follows her mother Lila Grace as she unravels the mystery behind Cassie’s death.

How long did it take you to write the book?
It took me a month or so to write Little Girl Revenge.

Do you have a favourite character/topic in your work?
Lila, the main character is my favourite, mainly because after a horrific incident, she takes her life in her own hands and does what needs to be done.

What was your writing process like?
I had an idea of where I wanted the book to go and I just meandered my way there. I don’t write with a plan, I just go where the story takes me. I let the characters decide what they want to say and when.

Do you have plans for further instalments?
Yes. The next book in the series is called Little Girl Silent and will be out early 2017. The final instalment is called Little Girl Lonely and is a prequel.

Do you have a plan for your next book?
My next book is called Severed Heart. It is a cozy mystery which is set on a rural farm and focuses on events surrounding a decade old death. It will be released on the 3rd November 2016.

Just a few final questions about writing and the industry…

Ebooks vs Physical books? Do you have a preference when reading?
I see the benefits of ebooks and I do read on my phone, but I am a lover of real books that I can hold and smell. (A woman after my own heart…. Amanda)

Self-publishing vs traditional publishing? What are your thoughts? Do you feel that the industry is changing?
I have self-published my books and will probably continue to do so as it is easier and more flexible and I can do it to my timeline. I feel that self-publishing is becoming more widely accepted. Once, it was seen as only for people that couldn’t get a traditional publishing deal but that’s not the case anymore. Anyone with a passion for writing can release books now.

And finally, what advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Just write. You will never finish a book if you don’t start it.

So where can readers find you?

Thank you Kirsty for being my first visiting author.   I wish you the very best of luck and I hope to see you back here in November when you release Severed Heart.

Thank again readers for visiting, please check out Kirsty’s books!

Until next time, happy reading!


Amanda

No comments: