Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Christmas? No Not Yet

It is nearing the end of June and while some of us eagerly await the new financial year and the rewards it reaps, others are looking forward to a winter's christmas feast.

What in July you say? Yes, here in Australia there is an odd tradition slowly emerging of Christmas in July, where people sit around restaurants feasting on festive fair. I am sorry, but Christmas comes but once a year, and yes perhaps we Australians find it strange to cover our windows in fake snow and put out wooden life-size cutouts of Frosty in the hottest month of the year. But that is half the fun.

Any other day of the year, if it were too hot, there is no way I would face the intolerable heat of the kitchen to cook a roast for dozens of people. Nor would I wake up at 4.30 in the morning and wait for the children to get out of bed. It is what makes it a special day, so why do some people think we should also have a celebration 'some time' in July. I think this new celebration is the antithesis of Christmas Spirit. Where are the crappy mechanical baby Jesus' diaramas, or the endless search for the ultimate present for the other half, who himself prefers to wait until christmas eve to do his shopping and then asks me to wrap it at 11.00 at night while I am on my way to midnight mass. This is what makes Christmas, well, Christmas.

I am glad, that this year, I have not seen hide nor hair of the infernal Christmas in July festivities, though I guess it is early days yet.

Why not have a Happy Tax Refund party instead and leave Christmas for the sickening summer heat? Ho Ho Ho, Merry Christmas.

No comments: