Saturday, August 20, 2016

Author Interview Karen Hendriks Aspiring Children’s Author

Welcome back readers and bloggers. This week I am interviewing aspiring Children's Author Karen Hendricks.

Thank you Karen for agreeing to be interviewed today.

Can you tell us a bit about you as an author?
I have always wanted to write for children and often as a teacher I would write little stories or be inspired by the stories that I read  to the students.  I am very passionate about literacy and children being literate.  The most important thing to teach a child is to read and then you open a world of possibilities.

What are the hardest part of being an author? 
Self Doubt, I know I can write but will It be enough?  Perfecting and learning my craft is ongoing and challenging.

What do you enjoy most about being an author? 
I love the creativity and the magic of writing and the world’s I can explore and share.  The social side of writing warms my heart.

What authors/books have had an influence on your writing?
From a children’s perspective Enid Blyton Little Golden Books,Doctor Seuss, Ann Frank, May Gibbs, Beatrix Potter and so many today Authors it is impossible to list but I do adore Peter Carnavas and Joy Cowley and Mem Fox and Margaret Wild and Libby Gleeson and there is more.

Do you ever get Writer’s Block? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you believe there is such a thing?
I do get writer’s block and then I question why I am doing what I do.  I know it will pass so I have a break or still try and think creatively.

Do you have a particular place that you like to write?  
By the sea, on my lounge, in bed, at our awesome local coffee shops.

Do you have a favourite time of day to write? 
Just some time in the day. 

How do you like to reach your readers? (Social media? Book signings? Blogs etc)   
Via my facebook page, school visitis and networking.  I still have much to learn in this area.

Can you tell us about your latest book?
I do not have a latest book as I regularly write new picture book stories and then hope to revisit them to edit and edit and edit.

How long did it take you to write the book?
Some can take a day others are not right even months later,  I tend to live in hope that each one will be better than the last.

Do you have a favourite character/topic in your work?
I love animal stories, humour,  friendship, adventure and self education messages .  Perhaps I feel strongest about environmental issues and the strong belief that children need to know what is happening in their world, not to be afraid but empowered.

What was your process? Did you plot out the entire book, or just let the storyline flow?  Do you write in chronological order? 
I am a person that works an idea in my head and it sorts itself out as I mull over it.  Then just flows or other times I start it and leave it and go back to it.

Do you have a plan for your next book?   
I am always working on a next book hoping it will be the one to crack it for me. I live in hope.

Ebooks vs Physical books? Do you have a preference when reading?
Physical books.

Self-publishing vs traditional publishing? What are your thoughts? Do you feel that the industry is changing? 
Both as the market is so tight and competitive that you need to do what you can to get your story out there.  The industry is constantly changing but so is everything else too.

And finally, what advice would you give to aspiring authors?

 As I am an aspiring author keep chugging on and trying and growing and writing.  

Thanks again for dropping by Karen. 

You can contact Karen via her various social media pages:

If you'd like to be interviewed for this Blog, please drop me a line. Thanks again for dropping by. 

Amanda

No comments: