Saturday, September 17, 2016

Author Interview: Caroline Angel, Horror and Sci Fi Author

This week, I am interviewing Caroline Angel, she is an Australian author who lives alone on 6 and a bit acres, with her Arabian horses, whippets, nekkid cockatoo, chickens, geese, peacocks and cats.
She had a goat but he ate a plastic bag and died.

She works ten hours a day, so she gets up before dawn, feeds everyone, drives over an hour on the highway to sit in a call centre for ten hours, then drive home for over an hour, feeds her animals, and goes inside when it's dark and she's tired.

Caroline loves horror stories, sci fi (her first full length novel had a Star Trek theme when she was 7) and some fantasy. She hates silly girly vampire movies (I am so glad - Amanda), likes the harder stuff...but she still loves Buffy! She loves to read, but doesn't get much time. (Does anyone these days? - Amanda)

Can you tell us a bit about you as an author?
Ah, this is hard. Its all boring! I write horror and horror sci fi. I have one book published and three on the way.

What are the hardest part of being an author?
Finding belief in yourself

What do you enjoy most about being an author?
Getting those monsters outta my head

What authors/books have had an influence on your writing?
Any and all. The usual horror but also the more off beat, and believe it or not, the unpublished writers on fictionpress

Do you ever get Writer’s Block? If so, how do you deal with it? Do you believe there is such a thing?
If anyone has a remedy for this I’d like to know

Do you have a particular place that you like to write?
No, my first book was written at work, the second mainly in a coffee shop, but if the mood takes me I will write anywhere. Have laptop – will write!

Do you have a favourite time of day to write? 
No, but the dark does invite further terrors

How do you like to reach your readers? (Social media? Book signings? Blogs etc) 
I am terrible. I am too introverted to self promote. I am hoping to overcome this and should be able to have a website up soon

Can you tell us about your latest book? (is it part of a series, genre) 
I’ll go with the one that’s already out. It is loosely based on the Slenderman myth, but carefully stepping around any copyright!

How long did it take you to write the book? 
About six months

Do you have a favourite character/topic in your work? 
The main characters, maybe. I tend to lie the characters that take on a life of their own when I had only planned for them to be minor, and they take off to be more substantial.

What was your process? Did you plot out the entire book, or just let the storyline flow? Do you write in chronological order? 
I just write. The story comes along organically. Then, once it’s all down I may add a chapter or two in editing to make the story flow better.

Do you have plans for further instalments? 
Not on this one, though I did leave a hook just in case!

Do you have a plan for your next book? 
Next book is written, editing now

Ebooks vs Physical books? Do you have a preference when reading? 
Nothing like holding the paper in your hands

Self-publishing vs traditional publishing? What are your thoughts? Do you feel that the industry is changing?
Traditional, I am not good at promoting myself. I know there are many that do, I see it all the time with them calling for action on award competition etc, but I can’t bring myself to do that.

And finally, what advice would you give to aspiring authors? 
I know most people say “Write!” but we all know that one. I would say to have faith in your self, and in your story.

Thanks Caroline for stopping by. It's been great I hope you get over your fears of self-promotion. I think it's a very important part of the journey for writers. We now have to be savvy in all areas of social media, as well as traditional interviews and the like. 

If you'd like to be interviewed for this blog, or have an interesting story you'd like to tell, please drop me a line. 

Until next week, 

Cheers, 

Amanda Howard

No comments: